[BRLTTY] 5.6

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Apr 5 20:42:46 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Brian Tew on 2018/04/05 at 18:46 -0500]

>I sure did not realize a bad make file could trash the system. I will avoid
>installing as root if possible.

When you're logged in as root, any command will be allowed to blindly go ahead
and do its thing. We all wish that everone who writes code can be trusted, but
that isn't always true. Even if someone who writes code can be trusted, he
might still be unintentinally careless, have forgotten to test something, etc.
Bugs are eventually found within any piece of code, and that includes make
files. When you run someone else's make file, you have absolutely no idea what
it's actually doing. What you are doing, however, is putting your complete
faith in whomever wrote the make file, and that isn't always a good idea.

At the very least, you should always do the make as someone other than root.
Sometimes, of course, you need to do the make install as root. Often, however,
you can even do the make install as some other user. All you often need to do
is create the target directory such that it's owned by a safe user, and then
install into it as that safe user.

>I didn't even realize uninstalling 5.3.1 would remove the brltty.service file,

Well ... there's no particular reason that brltty's systemd service units would
be part of any other package.

>Perhaps you begin to discern the level of my ignorance.

We all start from the beginning and learn as we go. The trick is for each of us
to recognize what our own weaknesses are, and to take them into account when
deciding whether or not to take some particular action.

>I will eventually go back and do things the right way.

Well ... there's ultimately no right way. There are safe and dangerous ways.
There are cures and there are mere bandages.

>Maybe the reason for modifying /etc/default/brltty is to make brltty start
>sooner.

This illustrates one of the things I'm trying to get at. I myself wouldn't do
anything without first understandng why I'm doing it. Trying something just
because is, for me, not a good enough reason. At the very least, if I don't
know why I'm trying it then I can't possibly know if it actually succeeded.

>Indeed I am getting braille output sooner now.

Are you saying that you have 5.6 running now?

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |