[BRLTTY] 5.6

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Apr 6 16:31:38 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Mgr. Janusz Chmiel on 2018/04/06 at 21:15 +0200]

>How complex would be for you to implement some hod keys combination,
>which would enable Brltty for Android users suspend The service.

It's easy to disable the service, but, without it running anymore, it's not
possible to get it going again without manually navigating to Accessibility
Settings and going through the process of turning it back on again.

>Talkback allow suspend itself by pressing two volume buttons, if this
>setting is allowed, checked from The Talkback setting dialog window.
>Why?

Google hasn't told me their reasons, but I can guess. When TalkBack is running
then Explore By Touch changes the way screen gestures work. That makes it
difficult for a sighted person to share the same device. It's nice, therefore,
to have an easy way to turn TalkBack off and back on. It can be easily turned
off for a sighted person to use the device, and it's very easy for a blind
person to then turn it back on again.

>Since it is very complex to determine, if user have unplug USB cable
>from Micro USB or USB in general. And when I unplug The cable,
>Android System UI display messae, that Brltty has stop working.

Then that's what we should fix. I don't believe in implementing extra features
to hide bugs. Are there some steps that I can try in orer to attempt to
reproduce the problem you're having? Is it as simple as
disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable, or is there something more that needs
to be done.

>I Am afraid, that it is not very easy to implement routine, which
>would monitor connection status in background.

Brltty is already doing that.

>So what about adding suspend function. But I do not know, if suspend will also
>disable SB communication, so when user would unplug USB cable after calling
>suspend function. It is little think. I do not know, what will happen, if user
>turn Blue tooth connected Braille device when Brltty service run. I suggest
>hod key letter s in combination with The first routing key on Braille device.

I don't think that this should be necessary. Let's work on solving the actual
problem.

>I know, that our situation is more complex than in Talkback. Talkback run as
>system app and it do not use .so C libraryes.

That wouldn't matter. Switching between C and Java is easy, and, in fact,
necessary since Android manages Bluetooth and USB devices in Java.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |