[BRLTTY] Speech Dictionaries

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Apr 15 06:30:12 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2018/04/04 at 11:48 +0200]

>As a regular speech user, I would like to request a speech replacement
>dictionary, which would allow the user to replace certain words by a corrected
>form, before the text is sent to the speech synthesis.

I'm not a speech user so I hope you won't mind teaching me a bit. Is a
dictionary normally the job of the screen reader or of the speech synthesizer?
If the screen reader does it then how can one be sure that every speech
synthesizer will end up actually using the desired pronunciation?

>Ideally, the dictionary would be specified in the configuration, hence allowing
>to overwrite this setting in language profiles.

Sure.

>I would be fine with a simple text replacement, but other screen readers also
>offer regular expression.

What are the matching rules? For example, which match wins (the first one in
the text, the first one in the dictionary, the longest one, etc)?

Perhaps you could provide a reasonably complex example to illustrate the best
way to do it.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |