[BRLTTY] Brltty in Ubuntu.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Feb 15 10:23:39 EST 2018

[quoted lines by Anders Holmberg on 2018/02/15 at 16:15 +0100]

>When you install ubuntu or debian from scratch you can get braille to work but i often have problems after i have updated brltty.
>SO i am wondering if brltty is built for starting  with init or systemd because brltty seldom starts automatically when i have built my brltty folowing the instructions in the users manual.

I have a guess which you can perhaps verify. The default is for brltty to be
put into /bin/, but I believe I've heard that Debian (and, therefore, also
Ubuntu) puts it into /sbin/. If this is correct, then that may be the reason
that systemd isn't starting it for you. Those distributions may have altered
the systemd unit to start brltty from within /sbin/, wehreas a home-built
brltty would be putting it into /bin/.

I myself don't see having different distributions put brltty into different
places is helpful, so maybe this is a good time to rediscuss the issue.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |