[BRLTTY] Success! Re: installing BRLTTY on the mac

Devin Prater r.d.t.prater at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 17:26:49 EST 2018

It wasn’t that hard. I didn’t expect it to be easy, and yes, compiling is still nerve-wracking to me, but it works. Here is the page I got my instructions from:
http://brltty.mielke.narkive.com/9QBwp00R/installing-brltty-on-the-mac
Here are the notes I took:
First, make sure you have Xcode installed, or the command line tools. Then, get Homebrew. Simply search Google for this, and it’ll most likely be the first result. Follow the easy instructions there.
Now, install git. First, run the Terminal app, found in the utilities folder of the applications folder in the Finder app. When there, type:
Brew install git
Now, after you land back at your prompt, you can either download the source code from git, or you may download the tar.gz file from the downloads page on the BRLTTY site. The origin of these instructions uses the “live” git version. I’m not that adventurous… yet.
Git clone https://github.com/brltty/brltty <https://github.com/brltty/brltty>
Now you’ll have the BRLTTY code on your system. This code is in human-readable form, so it cannot quite be ran as a program yet.
Now, to run the auto-generator, we must have autoconf. Don’t ask me why, I just got an error about it and installed it from Homebrew, like this:
Brew install autoconf
So, if you get an error about something not found, similar to “autoconf: command not found,” you may attempt to install the command through Homebrew.
Now, run:
./autogen
When that’s done, run:
./cfg-darwin —prefix=/usr/local
Now, when that succeeds:
make
Then:
Sudo make install

Now, get screen:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/screen/screen-4.2.1.tar.gz <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/screen/screen-4.2.1.tar.gz>
Now, the screen program has to be patched to allow it to work with BRLTTY. Why Screen doesn’t just get the code and patch it in officially is beyond me. I guess there has to be a reason, so we just do:
sudo patch -p0 </usr/local/src/brltty/Patches/screen-4.2.1.patch
Configure screen in /usr/local just like we did with BRLTTY.
Now, we have to run /usr/local/bin/screen. If your Braille display is supported by Voiceover, turn Voiceover off. Now, we can run:
brltty
And it should work. If not, mail the BRLTTY mailing list, and someone may be able to help you.
So, as the screen programmers say after configuring screen, “Good luck,” and may BRLTTY be of use to you, and may this guide help lessen the anxiety of building BRLTTY on macOS.
Your servant of Jesus Christ for the betterment of the community,
Devin Prater
Assistive Technology Instructor

, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint instructor certified by World Services for the Blind