[BRLTTY] Feature request: configurable prompt pattern

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Tue Mar 13 22:10:14 EDT 2018

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2018/03/13 at 14:59 +0200]
>
> > > Maybe your shell prompt looks like that, but, since a shell's prompt is
> > > configurable, I'm sure it's far from a common case. Would we really want every
> > > single brltty user to need to understand the complexities and pitfalls of
> > > regular expressons in order to benefit from the PR/NXPROMPT functionality?
> >
> >No, not at all. This sed-like behaviour would resolve the problem. It does not
> >need action from anybody, but allows for great configurability. libpcre
> >supports doing this substitution out of the box. libpcre is anyways installed
> >on almost all systems. I feel this would not be very difficult to add, and
> >being able to use NXPROMPT and PRPROMPT in irb, GHCi, DOSEMU, Debian chroots
> >(with their default PS1 settings), etc. would really make my life easier. And
> >these are quite common applications.
>
> I completely understand your reason and the convenience. I'm just not convinced
> that it'd actually work all that well as a general facility for the
> inexperienced.

But the inexperienced wouldn't have to do anything if the default
mimics the current behavior, no?

However such a feature i.e. the ability to modify what NXPROMPT matches,
could be very useful to those who are experienced enough to tweak their
prompt.

I think this would be a worthwhile feature if the default preserves
existing functionality for those who don't care about the extra
flexibility.

Nicolas