[BRLTTY] Feature request: configurable prompt pattern

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Thu Mar 15 14:27:56 EDT 2018

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2018/03/14 at 23:30 -0400]
>
> >This arrangement lasted for a couple years and went undetected all that time.
>
> I had no problem being totally open about it. It just meant that I had to be
> prepared for the battle (should one arise, as it eventually did).

Well, my boss on site lost that battle. So I had little hope winning it
while being remote. He just installed a back door so we could go back to
actual work. And that was the end of the fight.

> I don't remember what he asked, but my response was, "You clearly have no idea
> how to do your job. I do, so I'm telling you. You wouldn't listen to me under
> any other circumstances, but you have to listen to me now, so I'm using this
> oportunity to teach you how to provide real network security."

Being responsible for network security is a stressful job. Someday,
someone will know about a vulnerability that IT people don't know about
and they'll get hacked, and they'll be blamed for it of course. That
makes for very paranoid people.

> >Maybe that could be useful if someone wants to move between two
> >different types of prompts. But I think that for now, simply providing
> >the ability to change the current prompt matching should actually cover
> >most advanced use cases.
>
> We do have two cases, and I'm not yet sure how to provide both of them. Maybe
> using short/long presses is the way to do it. The two cases are moving to the
> next/previous prompt when not on a prompt, and moving to the next/previous
> prompt based on the prompt you're currrently on.

Well, a prompt based on the line you're currently on is just an easy way
to have a generic feature without having to configure anything. Once you
have the ability to define your prompt search match then maybe there
isn't much need for basing it off of the current line. So I don't think
that distinction has to be made at the UI level.

Nicolas