[BRLTTY] Question about Supported Braille Displays

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Mar 21 22:20:32 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Kihoon Ahn on 2018/03/21 at 19:55 -0400]

>I am planning to purchase "HIMS Smart Beetle Bluetooth USB UltraPortable
>Braille Display Keyboard" (https://www.enablemart.com/
>smart-beetle-braille-display?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl7S1y77-2QIVT4J-
>Ch1fSQWKEAkYBCABEgI51vD_BwE). It seems that this product is not supported
>by BRLTTY. Could anybody please check if the product is supported braille
>display or not?

Answering this type of question isn't as easy as one would hope. We're all
volunteers, and braille devices are expensive. This means that we simply don't
have the resources to purchase new devices just to see if they work with
brltty. We do try very hard, though, to add support for a new device that
doesn't yet work.

What I can tell you is that brltty has fairly general support for HIMS devices,
and also that the Smart Beetle is supported. If you do get the device you're
interested in, and if it turns out that it doesn't yet work with brltty, we'll
work with you to try to add support for it.

Perhaps you could ask your vendor/distributor to test it for you. Perhaps you
could arrange a conditional purchase. If it doesn't work then, perhaps, you
could suggest that they lend us one so that we can directly work on adding
support for it.

I know a person who may be able to give a better answer so I'll also ask her
for her opinion on your question.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |