[BRLTTY] can u bail me out again?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Mar 23 12:41:08 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Brian Tew on 2018/03/23 at 11:18 -0500]

>Yes I did --prefix=/usr/local/brltty56 when I configured it.

How are you running it? Are you running it from /usr/local/brltty56/Programs/
(wrong) or from /usr/locl/brlty56/bin/ (right)?

>So all the 5.6 files are in that directory.

That should be mostly okay. One problem, though, is that both the build and
install locations have a lib/ subdirectory. It ought to work, though, so I
think I'll rename the build tree's lib/ subdirectory. For now, just to avoid
this complication, I think you should do the build somewhere else. If you'd
like to keep it altogether then perhaps create /usr/local/brltty56/build/ for
doing the build.

>I installed 5.3.1 as root and it runs fine whether I am root or not.

I'm not sure what you mean. The constraint is that brltty itself needs to be
started as root in order to be able to access all that it needs to for full
functionality.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |