[BRLTTY] Install Help

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Mar 25 21:08:09 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by wmichaelb at fuse.net on 2018/03/25 at 19:58 -0400]

>I'm going to install brltty on Linux for a blind friend who is a six hour
>drive away.

Just a suggestion: First, get brltty working for him. Second, install an ssh
server, and verify that it works through his router, while you're there. That
way, you can, much more easily, continue to help him without having to drive
all that way again.

>My friend is currently using a PowerBraille 80

That means you'll need to use brltty's TSI driver (-b ts). That device only
supports serial I/O, so either his computer will need a serial port or he'll
need to use a USB to serial adapter.

You can specify this kind of stuff as system-wide defaults by adding lines like
these to /etc/brltty.conf:

   braille-driver ts
   braille-device serial:ttyS0

>I've RTFM'd,

I, personally, hate that acronym for at least two reasons. The first is that I
don't like the attitude of some (many?) who refuse to answer questions before
the asker has spent a year reading a whole bunch of technical stuff first -
here, you should feel free to just ask. The second one is that I don't like
perfectly good words with perfectly good meanings (e.g. the F within the
acronym) being used in very wrong ways. Why our culture uses terminology
related to sex (something exquisitely beautiful that God created for married
couples) in order to express hatred, extreme frustration, etc is something that
I simply don't understand.

>do I have to install anything other than a basic Linux server system with
>internet access and brltty?

This is sometghing that, at least in my opinion, has no proper answer. It all
depends on what your friend will be using his computer for, wanting to
experiment with, etc. That's one reason that, above, I suggested ensuring that
you (with his permission, of course) can access his computer, through his
router, from your home. Then, as his needs evolve, you'll be able to offer him
much more timely assistance.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |