[BRLTTY] New Android apk.

Robert Pösel robyer at seznam.cz
Tue Mar 27 10:12:23 EDT 2018

Dne 23.03.2018 v 17:43 Dave Mielke napsal(a):
> [quoted lines by Robert Pösel on 2018/03/22 at 12:09 +0100]
>
>> quick comment about notification: It shouldn't be showed when BRLTTY
>> service is disabled. Currently when I enable BRLTTY service,
>> notification is showed, when I disable it, it hides the notification
>> for a moment, but in few seconds shows it again (with text
>> "Waiting").
> Could you please test the latest apk (new as of just a few minutes ago) and let
> me know if this problem has or hasn't been resolved? If it's still occurring
> then try setting brltty's log level to debug and then checking the log for
> hints as to what might be happening when the notification reappears.

Hi, it works better now, notification is not showed in that case, but I
will describe what is still wrong:

1) Let's have BRLTTY service disabled and go to it's settings and
check/uncheck the "Release Braille Device" option. It shouldn't show the
notification, because service is disabled, but it really shows the
notification.

2) Let's have that above option checked and BRLTTY service disabled. Now
when I enable BRLTTY service, notification is showed (which is correct),
but the description says "Wainting", which is wrong, because the
"Release Braille Device" option is enabled, so it should say "Released"

3) Also there is small issue (unrelated to the above) on Android Oreo
that Android shows "BRLTTY application is running in backround" system
notification which is a way to notify user about any app that has
service running and so could drain the battery. As I understand it,
having own persistent notification should be enough not to show that
system notification, which you have, but for running on Oreo you must
use different constructor for NotificationBuilder - your
/Notification.Builder(context)/ constructor is deprecated and when
running on device that has Andriod Oreo you should use
/Notification.Builder(context, CHANNEL_ID)/ constructor. And to have
CHANNEL_ID, you must first register your Notification Channel by calling
getNotificationManager().createNotificationChannel(...) Read more here:
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/notifiers/notifications.html#ManageChannels
It should be simple change, but I can provide PR on GitHub that fixes
this, if you want.

Robert