[BRLTTY] keycodes brlapi

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Dec 3 11:16:16 EST 2019

[quoted lines by Quartel, Eric de on 2019/12/03 at 14:02 +0000]

>sudo apt-get install gawk

Yes, using gawk instead of mawk will resolve the problem, but now we don't know
why mawk wasn't working. :-( Could you please at least tell us which version of
mawk you were using?

>git clone https://github.com/brltty/brltty.git
>Did this in ~/Documents instead of ~/Downloads no security issues now

Why does this make a difference? I, personally, don't think you had any
security issues before. Well, I guess you did, but, in my opinion, they were
self-inflicted because you did the git clone using sudo.

>edited brltty.conf

How? Knowing how you configured it may help us understtand your problem(s).

I recall having asked you to post your brltty.conf in my previous message.

>and copied file to /etc

make install would've already put a copy of brltty.conf in /etc/.

>sudo controlvt=1 brltty

Why are you setting CONTROLVT when running brltty?

>without sudo no response on brailledisplay

That makes sense as brltty needs to run as root.

>When I compile apiclient, the example you give in the manual,
>I get after; ./apiclient or controlvt=1 ./apiclient
>the message; brlapi_openConnection: Authentication failed
>brltty running but now an issue with brlapi_openConnection()
>must I fill in some variables?
>function call in apiclient is if (brlapi_openConnection(NULL,NULL)<0) {error} else {drivername}

I've no idea what your apiclient is, but my guess regarding your problem is
that the permissions on /etc/brlapi.key are probably insufficient. It needs to
be readable by both the server (brltty running as root) and the client (which,
presumably, is running as you). The best way to know what's wrong without
guessing is to tell brltty to produce a log. You can do this by running brltty
with these two additional command line options:

   -ldebug,server
   -L/path/to/logfile

Note that the first -l is lowercase and that the second -L is uppercase.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |