[BRLTTY] Build brltty with support for espeak-ng

Tage Johansson frans.tage at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 02:50:38 EST 2019

>> How ever, then I found another problem. All speech messages are enqueued. So
>> if I walk two lines quickly, brltty speaks the first line done before it
>> starts to speak the second line. I have set "say line mode" to immediate.
>> This is probably a bug and I would be very pleased if it could be fixed.
> Are you sure you're using the latest development code? I just tested this and
> the previous line is ineeed stopped before the next line is spoken. Perhaps
> this was a bug in an older release.

I ran the following:

$ make clean

$ git pull

$ ./configure --with-espeak=no

$ make

$ sudo ./run-brltty

The problem is more precisely that the speech isn't interrupted when I
move to a new line. The lines are not enqueued as I said before. For
example. Let say brltty reads a very long line and I walk 10 lines away.
Brltty doesn't stop to speak the first line until it is done, but when
it is done with the first line, it will start to speak the current line
I'm at and not all lines in between.

I expect brltty to interrupt the speech immediately when I move to a new
line. It is very strange if this is different on different systems.
Maybe it is a problem in espeak-ng. I'm using espeak-ng 1.50.

I'm willing to help as much as possible to fix this problem because it
is very annoying.

Best regards,

Tage