[BRLTTY] Braille Display Protocol

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Thu Dec 19 10:48:52 EST 2019

[quoted lines by Justin Cunningham on 2019/12/18 at 22:13 +0000]

>My device is pretty barebones. It has no buttons and only one cell. I was
>pointed towards the ‘skeleton’/starter driver in the Brltty GitHub repository.
>Would that be enough (obviously after some modifying and altering) for my
>display?

Yes, it would. The difficulty is that integration with a screen reader, e.g.
brltty, isn't ultimately very useful if there isn't any way to navigate the
braille display around the screen. Usually, of course, those are on the braille
device itself. If you were using Linux then there are tables that bind
navigation actions to the computer's keyboard. Unfortunatey, we haven't gotten
around to implementing that kind of support on Windows. While it can be, and
should be, done, it hasn't been high enough on the priority list so far.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |