[BRLTTY] brltty for Android and quick navigation keys support

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jan 9 17:32:13 EST 2019

[quoted lines by Mgr. Janusz Chmiel on 2019/01/09 at 22:22 +0100]

>Because Google Talkback screen reader simply refuse to allow users to press
>simply h for heading, k for link ETC when some compatible WEB page have been
>loaded, users must always hold some other modification key with simply
>navigation keys, I Am wondering.
>How complex would be to extend Brltty for Android so all elements, which
>Talkback support in combination with modifier keys could be directly used
>from Braille device by using build in keyboard on Braille display.
>The only question is, if Talkback export some public APIS so Brltty for
>Android could use them for quickly jump to heading after user press h on his
>Braille device, ETC.

TalkBack is a screen reader. It relies on Android's accessibility framework the
same way that brltty does. The accessibility framework does provide an API for
moving between HTML elements on a web page, and brltty could indeed use it.

>Brltty for Android would had to auto detect which WEB engine have been used,
>if WEBview, or Gecko.

I think it'd only work with Chrome because I think that it's the only web
browser that implements the needed API.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |