[BRLTTY] BRLTTY and accessibility of Grub under UEFI

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sun Jan 27 20:56:54 EST 2019

[quoted lines by Jason White on 2019/01/27 at 20:23 -0500]

>how to make the boot process more accessible for selecting the desired
>operating system. Linux is first in the boot order, which is what I want. As I
>remember, Samuel Thibault implemented Grub options for playing sounds when the
>boot menu appears. There was also some discussion of BRLTTY support within
>Grub, but I can't remember what happened along those lines.

Playing a tune when grub's prompt comes up is easy. I myslef have it play, at
the pitch of Middle-A (440KHz), the Morse Code letter g (for grub). Here are
two lines from my grub.cfg:

   play 600  440 3  0 1  440 3  0 1  440 1  0 1
   ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

I've included the second line in order to show you where I put the play line,
i.e. right at the end of the header section.

The syntax for the play command is:

These are all integers. The first one is the tempo, which is then followed by
pairs of pitch and duration.

The tempo is in durations per minute, so a tempo of 60 would mean that a
duration unit is one second long. Since I'm using a tempo of 600, my base
duration unit is a tenth of a second.

As for brltty support within grub, yes, there has been effort to that end.
Unfortunately, the grub person who was helping us with it (a few years ago,
now) moved on to something else. It's something I've been wanting to get back
to but haven't yet.

I myself don't know much about BIOSes, UEFI, etc. Not saying that I couldn't
learn, though. I'd just appreciate a good teacher.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |