[BRLTTY] Returning to BRLTTY - and asking for help with Windows/FS Focus Blue setup

Bram Duvigneau bram at bramd.nl
Sun Jul 28 18:36:09 EDT 2019

Hi Nikhil,

I prefer BRLTTY when I'm using a Linux system directly. But most of the
time I am working on Windows and accessing Linux boxes through SSH. It
has been a while since I ran BRLTTY on Windows 10, so some things might
be incorrect or out of date, since I'm typing this from the top of my head.

First of all I ran in the issue that the libusb drivers seem to lack a
valid digital signature. Signed drivers are required in Windows 10 as
far as I know so without signing they will not be used. The version of
BRLTTY that ships with Windows Narrator (built-in screen reader) has
signed drivers for the supported braille displays and also adds an
option to easily switch drivers between Narrator/other screen reader
from Narrator's preferences. However, the "normal" BRLTTY release didn't
pick up the Narrator BRLTTY supplied drivers when I tested this, I don't
know why. The Narrator BRLTTY version can be started manually from the
command line and can be found in c:\windows\brltty.

Unfortunately, the Focus displays don't have an emulated serial port, so
the only way to get them to work with BRLTTY is getting a correct USB
driver. So, this would mean switching between drivers when you want to
switch screen readers. The usbfilter option that Dave mentions doesn't
work on Windows 10 as far as I know, but please correct me if I am wrong.

If you get BRLTTY to work, your console experience will be different
from what you'll get on a real Linux text console. Since the underlying
methods of accessing data are different. I found Windows consoles
perform worse than Linux text consoles. So you might wonder if it is
worth the hassle on Windows.

Also, it would be good if anyone could reproduce my experiences so we
can clearly document what is possible on Windows 10 and which caveats
there are in the official documentation.

By the way, Microsoft will release the second version of WSL (Windows
subsystem for Linux). This version is based on a real Linux kernel and
not just emulation. If this new WSL will provide a way to access USB
devices from Linux, we might be able to run BRLTTY on that, but it's to
early to tell.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions.

Best,

Bram