[BRLTTY] Focus 40 5th Gen

Koen Vranken koen at vranken.org
Wed Jul 31 06:33:27 EDT 2019

On 31/07/19 01:02, S. Massy wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 07:06:31PM +0200, Koen Vranken wrote:
>> My wife had the chance to test it for a short time and in general was
>> positive about the quality of the display.
>>
>> However we wanted to use it with an Android phone and there it depends very
>> much how accessible the applications are.
> Does the device actually work with Android, though, or was it the apps
> that had accessibility issues? I believe FS claims it is supported by
> Ansroid. I'm not big on using a braille display with my phone but would
> definitely like to keep that option open.
> S.M.

Basically it works. You can read texts, edit and so on.
We experienced some issues with apps so we didn't continu as we were a
kind of stuck.
Getting in an input textbox so you can put in an url in the browser or
search a contact in the phone-app wasn't possible. In the texting app we
could get in the input field for a contact but then we couldn't confirm
it. 'Enter' didn't work and other things we tried eather so you needed
some eyes to click on enter, search or next.
We think this is app related but we didn't have time enough to give it
another go.
As she has no knowledge of Android, Linux or brltty it is a very steep
learning curve to find out what is actually wrong and she didn't feel up
to it, so we had to abanden this way to go.
We are now testing a Hims Polaris which has Android, braillesupport and
accessible apps build-in which makes it a lot easier. This also comes
with some issues but that is way out of scope of this mailing list.

Koen