[BRLTTY] help on android needed

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Jun 25 11:04:49 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Koen Vranken on 2019/06/23 at 08:05 +0200]

>Anyone any luck working with a smartphone on Android?

Yes.

>smartphone: Samsung S4mini (I9195)

I myself use a Pixel, but I'm sure there are those who use brltty on Samsung
devices.

>braille display: Freedom scientific Focus 14 Blue with perkins style input

Yes, that device is supported.

>working with touchscreen is no option in this case!

While using a touch screen can, at times, make things a bit more efficient, it
shouldn't be necessary. Of course, we're always subject to the degree of
accessibility (or lack thereof) that individual app designers consider and/or
test for. Google itself has traditionally been very good at ensuring the
accessibility of its apps.

>install of brltty went well and navigation through launcher is ok.

Good.

>ones inside an app the problem starts.

That's too general of a statement. Specific details wuold be helpful.

>getting in to an input field (url for browser or phonenumber for textmessage)
>is troublesome. sometimes you get there, sometime you don't.
>
>Once in the input field the cursor on the braille display doesn't follow so
>makes it very hard to make adjustments of the input.

Brltty doesn't automatically drag the input focus when you navigate around the
screen. After you navigate onto an inpt field, check to see if you have a
cursor. If you don't then the input focus isn't on that field. To bring it to
the field you're on, press the leftmost routing key.

>And if you're finally done there's no way to confirm the search or input.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you mean the suggested search
results, yes, they should be there. They're just elsewhere on the screen as
nothing (other than knowledge within the app itself) directly attaches them to
the input field for the search text.

>Also no other way to get back out of the input field.

Again, specific details regarding what you've tried would be helpful.

>'Enter' doesn't work as expected.

What are you expecting? If you're on an input field then there'd be three
possibilities. If it's a multi-line input field (which search text usually
isn't) then Enter should start a new line. If it's a single-line input field
then Enter, depending on the app's design for the field, will either do nothing
or click on the field.

>The documentation available doesn't gives us sufficient answers.

Which documentation are you reading?

Which release of Android is being used?

Which release of brltty is being used?

Where was brltty's apk downloaded from, and when was it downloaded?

Has the input method been set to brltty?

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |