[BRLTTY] NavRowKey on Focus 40

S. Massy smassy at wolfdream.ca
Sat Oct 5 20:37:25 EDT 2019

On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 08:16:03PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:

> This is always a bit of a problem when we don't get access to each updated
> model. Way too expensive for poor folks like us. :-)
Indeed, that's one big challenge for a project like BRLTTY which aims to
support devices which are difficult and expensive to obtain and which
may not even be available in every part of the world. For example, many
European models never make it to North America.

> Can you tell from the manual if it was the Focus 1 or Focus 2 line of models?
> How many cells does that older model with the navrow keys have?
The manual is for a "Focus 40 Blue". From that, I inferred it was the
original but it's not easy to tell. All we really have to go by is the
year, 2009. To make matters worse, it looks like Freedom Scientific
didn't always append a generation number to its models (this seems to
have started with the 4th revision).

Our best bet would be to try and get manuals from different years and
see when the reference to the navrow keys disappears.
S.M.
--
Sebastien Massy
Montreal, Canada