[BRLTTY] What is the best way to deal with Unicode characters?

Shérab Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Thu Sep 19 04:00:00 EDT 2019

Dear all,

Several researchers I work with tend to use Unicode characters to
include mathematical symbols in their texts. For instance, they use greek
letters and logical symbols such as arrows, quantifiers, conjunctions and
disjunctions, etc. This tendency is encouraged by the fact that
some proof assistants such as Agda themselves support these characters
and encourage their use.

Currently and as far as I know there is no representation of such
characters in our braille tables. It is also not obvious to me which
representation we should use, because I don't think one-cell
representations would be okay, but at the same time representations that
occupie several cells introduce other problems.

I am wondering whether you guys have opinions or suggestions about how
to best deal with this problem. Should we ask people to refrain from
using such characters, or do we have a better solution that would allow
us to work with them in a more straightforward way?

Best wishes,

Shérab.