[BRLTTY] What is the best way to deal with Unicode characters?

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Sep 21 12:08:50 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2019/09/21 at 10:23 +0300]

>I would need to translate my text table into a contraction table completely,
>because I need to enable the use of 'Six dots mode' in BRLTTY or the
>contraction table is not used at all. My normal text table relies heavily on
>use of dots 7 and 8, and thus enabling 'Six dots mode' makes almost all text
>unreadable for me.

Six Dot mode indeed does mask out dots 7 and 8, but only if a contraction table
isn't being used. A contraction table may specify dot 7 and/or dot 8, and they
aren't masked out.

>So my contraction table needs to hold an entry for every character that is
>defined. Then if I occasionally need to use a system where multi-cell
>representation is not desired (e.g. when reading columnated text or tables), I
>need to use my old text table for that. This means that I would need to
>maintain two translation tables.

Maybe not. What if there were a mode for contraction tables that used the
current text table as a fallback. In other words, if a character isn't defined
within the contraction table then look it up within the text table.

>If I use contraction table for everything, I also lose the possibility to use
>brltty-ttb for editing the table, which has been quite convenient.

Text table fallback would also allow you to continue doing that.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |