[BRLTTY] Contraction table fallback.

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Tue Sep 24 04:38:03 EDT 2019

Dave Mielke <Dave at mielke.cc> writes:
 > [quoted lines by Dave Mielke on 2019/09/23 at 14:02 -0400]
 > >2) Use the reaplcement character if defined, else do a text table looukp.

 > Aura: Please check the latest commit to see if it works the way you need it to.

I'm very busy with my studies right now, but I try to do this ASAP.

 > Sebastien: Developers can define the replacement character, like this:
 >    always \uFFFD 12345678 # or whatever
 > If the replacement character is defined then it'll use that ratehr than do a
 > text table lookup.

But what about all sorts of applications which use the FFFD character to
signal something (generally an Unicode errors). How can I define a braille
glyph for this character then?

Also regarding the option of enabling contraction tables without enabling
six-dot mode at the same time, I would not overload the 'Text Style' option
with that. Contracted braille is probably something that people want to easily
turn on and off, and they want to have a simple binding for that (like the
current SIXDOTS). If the option has four states, people need to run the
command many times to cycle through all of the states to get from the first to
the last, and it is confusing and annoying.

If finding a new key binding for all supported devices is too much of a work,
I would leave this as is.

--
Aura