[BRLTTY] What is the best way to deal with Unicode characters?

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Sep 28 15:45:36 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Shérab on 2019/09/28 at 18:46 +0200]

>Wouldn't one other possibility be to use the Unicode description of the
>character? I am thinking for instance about smileys here. What od you
>think?

That could indeed be an extra step. The current order within the latest
development code is:

1) contraction table lookup
2) directly interpret if it's a Unicode braille pattern
3) text table lookup if one is active (last step if so)
4) use the Unicode replacement character if it's defined
5) use dots 12345678

Adding the (new) cldr directive to a contraction table (which has already been
done for most of them) will interpret a lot of the emoji characters, but that
also does require that you've installed the cldr annotations package. We could
additionaly do an ICU lookup for a character's description, but you can also
get that with brltty's Describe Character function.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |