[BRLTTY] Space, Enter, Backspace not usable as modifiers

Devin Prater r.d.t.prater at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 01:03:15 EDT 2020

Hi all. I’m running BRLTTY version 6.0, with a Focus 14, on Arch Linux. Specifically, I’m using Stormux, a variant of Arch, on a Raspberry Pi 4. BRLTTY has always worked very well for me, but this evening, I came to the Pi and found that many settings had been set in strange ways; I have no idea how. For example, typing was turned off, and screen cursor was set to not be shown, and to blink.

I fixed a lot of those, and restarted the Pi, but found that when I hold Space and press P, for example, it just writes “p”. When I press Enter, it makes whatever dot 8 would be in computer braille. It is the same with Backspace. So, I can’t enter the preferences menu. I’ve tried deleting the /etc/brltty.conf file, but that didn’t fix it, so I touched a new one and hope I didn’t break things further. Also, the “brltest” command doesn’t seem to be on my system.

So, any ideas? Is there a way to completely reset BRLTTY?