[BRLTTY] Key bindings for the HandyTech products

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Mon Apr 13 06:54:49 EDT 2020

Dear all,

This message is addressed to Mario and all the users of the Active Star
40 and perhaps also other HandyTech products.

I would like to discuss the binding of the left triple action key. Its
lower part is currently bound to cursor down, while its upper part is
currently bound to cursor up.

I never used these bindings and recently changed them. I bound the lower
part to full window right and the upper part to full window left. That
may sound counterintuitive and may seem more intuitive to do the binding
the other way around, but my idea was to be as close as possible to
what one is doing when reading printed braille. When one is doing that,
at some point the right hand continues to read on its own while the left
one returns to the beginning of the line and goes to the following one,
so that the right hand knows where to go when reading is finished.

With this bindings, I find the load of my two hands more balanced. It's
also convenient when the display is not completely filled to not have to
go to the triple action key on the right to go to the next braille
window. I realise I could do it with the space keys, too, but I don't
find this very convenient.

So my question is: what do other users of this input table think about
this suggestion? Do you find it odd and think I should just keep it for
myself, or do you like it and find it worth including?

For those who would like to try, I am attaching the updated version of
rockers.kti I am using.

To use it, just install it under /etc/xdg/brltty/rockers.kti and restart
brltty, it will load the alternative version of the table rather than
the default one.

Best wishes,

Sébastien.