[BRLTTY] FreedomScientific raw key codes

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Mon Apr 27 23:38:52 EDT 2020

Hi again

Aura Kelloniemi <kaura.dev at sange.fi> writes:
 > I have been experimenting with the new API which can converts the raw key codes
 > returned by the braille driver to their respective key names.
[--]
 > Is this a bug in the raw key codes API?

Okay. I think I have found a bug. If I press multiple keys on my display
(regardless of what those keys are), BrlAPI starts to give me very weird key
events.

Here are results from two test runs, where I first press down Dot4, Dot5, Dot6
and Dot8, and then release them. In the first run I press and release the keys
such that I leave a pause between all the presses and releases. It works, as
expected:

<clip>
[0.7367334] Dot4 press (0x3)
[1.2828573] Dot5 press (0x4)
[1.8917428] Dot6 press (0x5)
[2.4591182] Dot8 press (0x7)
[4.5303092] Dot8 release (0x7)
[5.1479775] Dot6 release (0x5)
[5.7317373] Dot5 release (0x4)
[6.3255073] Dot4 release (0x3)
</clip>

In the second run I press them down at the same time (more or less) like when
typing braille. The events are pretty garbled:
<clip>
[1.2300688] Dot8 press (0x7)
[1.2413025] Dot6 press (0x5)
[1.2415795]  release (0x80000000)
[1.2431806]  release (0x80000000)
[4.700076] Dot4 release (0x3)
[4.7003535] Dot1 release (0x0)
[4.7019834] Dot1 release (0x0)
[4.7086989] Dot8 release (0x7)
</clip>

(I did not touch the Dot1 key at all, just the ones which I described above).

I wish this behaviour could be fixed, as BrlAPI's raw key code output for
Focus Blue is pretty unusable for real-world scenarios, where key combinations
would be needed. BRLTTY itself does not suffer from any of these problems.

--
Aura