[BRLTTY] [OT] How to integrate BSI into a Linux cell phone?

Rich rdm at cfcl.com
Tue Aug 18 02:58:54 EDT 2020

> On Aug 17, 2020, at 22:48, Aura Kelloniemi <kaura.dev at sange.fi> wrote:

Thanks for the insightful comments.

> 1. A mobile computer with braille & speech support

Braille displays aren't cheap; AFAIK, they start around $1K.  My impression
is that most folks who have them didn't buy their own.  So, either an employer
or a government agency provided the device.  And that's in the first world;
things are going to be a lot more difficult in the second or third world.  So,
even if a re-purposed cell phone isn't perfect, getting one for $20 may be a
worthwhile goal.  Adding a Bluetooth keyboard and earphones might double that
cost, or more, but it still may not be a show-stopper.

> I suppose that with PostmarketOS this setup is already very easy to achieve. A
> rebuilt kernel with VT support is probably the only thing needed.

I suspect that a PinePhone, some earbuds, and a USB-C keyboard would suffice to
get started.  However, I've opted to get this package, instead:

"PINEPHONE – “Community Edition: PostmarketOS With Convergence Package”
https://store.pine64.org/product/pinephone-community-edition-postmarketos-with-convergence-package-limited-edition-linux-smartphone/

I suspect that the best way to provide convenient and non-threatening access
to common facilities will be to use a text-based menu system.  Something like
Xiki might be a good starting point for this.

Although you mention X (X Windows, I presume), that isn't the only option.  I
wonder whether a personal web server, plus Orca, might not provide a usable
and flexible interface.  I realize that Orca isn't as polished as some of the
proprietary screen readers, but is it unusable?  Is Fenrir an option for CLI?
Inquiring gnomes need to mine...

-r