[BRLTTY] mantis q40 on Android?

Florian Beijers florianbeijers at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 14:58:36 EST 2020

Hello all,

I am currently playing with an APH  Mantis q40 braille display. I am
attempting to use it with my Android device, but I am running into
some trouble, and I'm not sure how to debug this further.

- Android: v10
- BRLTTY: Latest, as of October 18th 2020.
- Connection Method: Bluetooth.

Things I've tried:
- Installed the brltty-latest on this Android 10 device successfully.
- Started the BRLTTY Accessibility service.
- Paired my device, which can be used in a HID manner. Keystrokes come
through fine, and the "use this device for" grouping in the Bluetooth
settings lists text entry.
- In BRLTTY settings, Release braille display is unchecked, which is default.
- Manage devices -> Add devices correctly autoselects the device,
knowing it to be a q40 connected over Bluetooth. Braille driver
selection is set to auto, where I left it given I don't know which
driver this device uses if any.
- Upon selecting the added device however, nothing appears to be happening.

>From other posts to this list I seem to see that this device is
supported as of 6.1 stable , released in April 2020. Is this not so
for Android yet? If so, is this likely to happen soon?

Thanks a lot,
Florian