[BRLTTY] German users: no-break space and dot 7?

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Mon Dec 7 02:13:14 EST 2020

Sebastian Humenda <shumenda at gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Mario
>
> Mario Lang schrieb am 05.12.2020, 21:27 +0100:
>>Sebastian Humenda <shumenda at gmx.de> writes:

>>> Why would you like to show non-breaking spaces by default?
>>
>>Because sole dot 7 is not used for anything.  nbsp do carry a semantic
>>meaning, i.e. they will inhibit editors to break between words using
> […]
>
> Sure, but it's something related to typography in the wider sense. It should
> be an option to enable for the screen reader or is the job of your editor to
> show.

The editor typically uses no-breaking space to show that, which is
actually what we want from the perspective of screen reading.  If the
editor used some sort of background color, that wouldn't lend itself very
much to screen reading.

> I would not like to see it as a default.

Why do you use a horizontal ellipsis in your email if you care about
representablility in Braille?

>>> They are not shown on the screen and I do not like the idea to do this
>>> different in braille.  A non-breaking space is IMHO a typographic
>>> matter and I would say that it should be made visible when needed.
>>
>>Which character would you map to sole dot 7 then?
>
> Do we need to map it?

Well, we only have 2^8 different things a braille cell can show.  Is
that so much that we can waste mappings?

> I am not familiar with computer braille and whether there are
> standards for this.

Noted.

--
CYa,