[BRLTTY] [Feature request] Improved raw key codes API

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sun Dec 20 23:34:46 EST 2020

[quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2020/12/21 at 00:05 +0100]

>I don't think we want to embed the decoding knowlege in libbrlapi itself, but
>keep it in the driver or key table. I.e. when decoding a key event, you'd
>request the server to do the decoding. We can however try to cache the result
>in libbrlapi, to avoid requesting it every time.

libbrlapi already supports plitting up a command keycodde (describe, expand)),
and it already has the tools to get at the individual fields of a driver
keycode. The only thing we're missing is group names.

We already have BRLAPI_PARAM_DEFINED_DRIVER_KEYCODES. To get th set of groups,
therefore, all we'd need is a function to go over a set of whole keycodes and
return the set of discrete groups. Should that really be a new parameter and a
request to the server given that the handling for this is totally generic?

What we're missing is a parameter to get the name for a group, just like we
already have parameters to get at the name and description for a whole keycode.
This'd be a lot of work, unfortunately, since the key table doesn't define
them.

As for uint32_t for a key group, we currently use uint8_t for both the group
and the number. Maybe I'm not thinking far enough ahead, of course, but that
seems more than adequate for the set of keys that any braille device is likely
to ever have.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |