[BRLTTY] Newbie curious about Inceptor braille display driver.

tony seth larimer420 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 22:00:19 EST 2020

Heya there Dave: good to hear from ya.
Sorry for what may be a long-winded message.
First off, the version of Brltty I have, is 6.0.
As for things I tried, I'll start with bluetooth since that did get a
little response.
First turned bluetooth on for the pc, using bluetoothctl. Also tried
this with the blue-man gui with same results.
The agent registered, so I set default-agent and that went all right,
set power on, that succeedded and then scan on and scan started.
 From here, I turned on bluetooth on the BrailleMe device and figuring
Brailleback was as close to linux as possible, and the devices shows
up as Smartbeetle1 in the available devices so I paired with it by the
6-char address.
The agent wanted me to verify a 6-digit passkey so tried answering
both y and yes and the Brailleme consistantly and very quickly
displayed the message:
Connection failed.
In Brailleback the passkey confirmation works fine so I know the
device is working.
I tried this again after going into brltty.conf and checking  that
auto is uncommendted in the driver list and braille-devices.
I uncommented the Inceptor driver in the drivers and bluetooth in the
devices list and put the address of the BrailleMe into the line
provided and tried the above process again, still no go.
Deciding then that bluetooth might not be the way to go, I went into
the brltty.conf and hash marked the auto settings for the two char
drivers and uncommented the usb option for devices.
I then connected the usb cable to BrailleMe went to the usb option on
the device and chose connect to n.v.d.a. and got the message:
Waiting for connection and that is as far as it went.
Tried the same with the connect to voiceover choice, and while the
behavior of the device is slightly different still not connecting.
I then went into brltty.conf and in the second bluetooth line in the
devices section I put the serial number of the BrailleMe device into
that line after uncommenting it and commenting the usb line above it.
Tried the same thing again with both the connect to n.v.d.a. option
and the connect to voiceover option.
Neither would get beyond waiting for connection.
I mentioned that the BrailleMe behaved a little differently for the
connect to voiceover option, and here's how.
When trying the connect to n.v.d.a. option, after the waiting for
connection message sat there on the display for a while, I hit the key
combination to close the connection, which backed out of that choice
no problem.
While in the message though, I could pan left and right so that the
display would reveal the word connection.
Now, when I tried the connect to voiceover option, I got the waiting
for connection message again, but this time, when panning to the right
to reveal the word connection, it seemed to have locked up. Not sure
of that however, I hit the key combination to close the connection,
and got the dialog asking if I wanted to close the connection, which I
didn't get from the connect to n.v.d.a. choice.
First I closed the connection with the yes key combination, which
brought me back to the main usb menu as expected.
Curious about what would happen if I responded with "no" I retried the
connect to voiceover choice again, and then exiting the connection,
but trying the "no" option instead.
This made all the dots on the display go down, and the panning keys
did nothing. I checked to see if the BrailleMe was being detected, so
looked at dmsg |tail and yes indeed, the devices shows up and the
computer appears to know what it is.
I then got out of the connection, responding with "yes" to the dialog
and got back into the main usb menu.
I checked to see if the device disconnected from the computer then,
and in dmesg it showed that there was a usb disconect.
And that's where I am.
If it helps The BrailleMe was purchased a bit before Christmas and the
software version is:
m02.8s01.06h11.00
Hope this helps.
Thanks much and look forward to hearin' from ya.
Take care...
Cheereo.