[BRLTTY] Raspberry Pi bluetooth pairing question

Keith Wessel keith at wessel.com
Sat Jul 18 15:16:24 EDT 2020

Hi, all,

I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious here.

I recently replaced my aging Gentoo desktop system with a Pi 4, and I'd like
to pair my braille disply with it via bluetooth. But I'm getting hung up on
the connecting.

[bluetooth]# connect E0:7D:EA:E7:91:FF
Attempting to connect to E0:7D:EA:E7:91:FF
[CHG] Device E0:7D:EA:E7:91:FF Connected: yes
[CHG] Device E0:7D:EA:E7:91:FF ServicesResolved: yes
Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.NotAvailable
[CHG] Device E0:7D:EA:E7:91:FF ServicesResolved: no
[CHG] Device E0:7D:EA:E7:91:FF Connected: no

Googling for the [CHG] Device E0:7D:EA:E7:91:FF Connected: no[CHG] Device
E0:7D:EA:E7:91:FF Connected: no org.bluez.Error.NotAvailable error, I read
that I needed to enable serial port support in the bluez service:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=947185#p947185

Not being a fan of editing system conf files that could get overwritten with
package upgrades, I ran systemctl edit dbus-org.bluez.service and added:

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd -C
ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/sdptool add SP

I did a daemon-reload and confirmed with systemctl show
dbus-org.bluez.service. I even rebooted for good measure, but still the
org.bluez.Error.NotAvailable continues when I try to connect.

Anyone have an experience in this area or any suggestions to offer? In case
it matters, it's a Focus 80 5th gen.

Thanks for any advice,
Keith