[BRLTTY] Brltty can now, with a bit of help, run as an unprivileged user.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri May 1 17:53:10 EDT 2020

Brltty's development code, i.e. the master branch, now contains support for
brltty running as an unprivileged user. If you still start it as root then all
you need to do is to create a correctly-configured brltty user. The top-level
directory of the source tree contains a script named brltty-mkuser that makes
this easy to do. Just run it with its -N (uppercase) option. Its -h option, as
usual, lists all of its options. This script also gets installed.

If you're curious about all of the details, then you might want to read:

   http://brltty.app/doc/Linux.html

I'd actually appreciate it if people would read through it so that they can
tell me if anything is unclear, if there are any questions that it doesn't yet
answer, etc.

By the way: If you don't create the brltty user then brltty will just continue
running as root like it always has. In other words, creating the brltty user
isn't at all necessary.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |