[BRLTTY] Android: custom data files, BrlAPI and LineageOs

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri May 29 10:30:33 EDT 2020

[quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2020/05/29 at 16:29 +0300]

>Does it work like the xdg-directory so that I should not use any
>subdirectories under brltty/?

Yes, exactly.

> > It listens on 127.0.0.1:0, i.e. the main BrlAPI port on localhost.
>
>Yes, I think this is good, but is there some sort of mechanism which BRLTTY
>uses to detect which BrlAPI client application is focused (in the same way as
>xbrlapi does it)? Because if not, it means that BrlAPI is not very useful on
>Android.

No, as this hasn't yet been given much thought. Right now, you need to use
openTtyWithPath(0, NULL).

> > You'd probably need to do your own Android build for that.
>
>But why? Assuming that the container can connect to BrlAPI (which should not
>be that difficult because it is listening on a TCP port), there should be a
>way to run a local BRLTTY.

I'm unaware of Androido providing a way for a user to create a container. A
container, if created, would, of course, run just like any other container.

>This might require that I have rooted my phone (to allow BRLTTY to access
>/dev/input, for instance), but I am going to do that anyhow. I realize though
>that input device support might not be compiled to the Android kernels, which
>would complicate this.

Input isn't read that way. On Android, brltty provides itself as an input
method. Of course, a second brltty within a containner running Linux would use
/dev/input/ devices.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |