[BRLTTY] Unicode braille patterns

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Thu Oct 22 01:00:38 EDT 2020

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Lars Bjørndal on 2020/10/21 at 21:23 +0200]
>
> >I'm working on a project where I need to be able to quickly distinguish
> >between normal letters and braille patterns in the range 0x2800-0x28FF on
> >the braille display, with BRLTTY in the console. On
> >my system, 0x2801 is displayed as dot 1, like a normal a. It's ok if it's
> >displayed as a question mark or whatever, just for this project. Is
> >there a simple solution?
>
> I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Brltty shows the right symbols for the
> braille patterns. Why should it be doing somethign different with them?

I think he wants to distinguish a braille 'a' from the regular letter
'a'. Right now they're indistinguishable unless you use DESCCHAR on the
whole screen.

My initial thought was to remove the definition for those unicode
braille characters from the braille table, but there doesn't seem to be
any such definition.

So the quick solution would be to execute brltty with the
-X lx:unicode=no argument to disable unicode altogether. But then you
won't be able to use DESCCHAR to identify them either.

Nicolas