[BRLTTY] Virtual Bluetooth Device For iOS

Kyle Frownfelter ksf at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 6 00:36:56 EST 2021

Greetings all! :-)

I love the Alva Satellite 584 with BRLTTY, nothing quite like the braille experience! I would really like to use the Alva with the iPhone, but alas no bluetooth support!

So it occurred to me that perhaps it would only be a matter of broadcasting some sort of adhoc bluetooth signal to make the iPhone think there was a supported braille device, pair with the computer, have the iPhone send the data, have it go through BRLTTY and boom! Bluetooth support for the Alva on the iPhone.

Any ideas or suggestions on where to get started? Does the iPhone have any specifications on how braille isplays are paired and what sort of information is sent to them? Has anybody ever done something like this before? I think it would be a fantastic programming project, but I'm not really sure where to begin!

Thanks much!