[BRLTTY] problem with preferences saving

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Thu Jul 29 17:13:53 EDT 2021

[quoted lines by John Covici on 2021/07/29 at 16:50 -0400]

>Yes, I have -rw------- 1 root root 58 Mar  4  2013
>/etc/brltty-pm.prefs
>
>But its very old, I never knew to delete it.

It'd also be only for a Papenmeier device, and I don't think you're using those anymore. You should remove it, though.

Another possibility is that you have a brltty.prefs file within the /etc/xdg/brltty/ directory. If so, it'd be overriding the one within /var/lib/brltty/.

I'm a little confused, though. I believe you said that your preference changes are being saved, but you also said that the time stamp on /var/lib/brltty/brltty.prefs is a year ago or so. Did I misunderstand this? If not, why are you sure that your changes are being saved?

Also, perhaps you could have a look at the log to see if brltty is reporting any error(s).

>I think, but am not sure this started when I started using the git
>version rather than 6.3.

That wouldn't matter.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |