[BRLTTY] Installed latest BRLTTY on Android but Chorded commands for Global Actions not working (using Brailliant BI 40)

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jun 9 10:55:39 EDT 2021

[quoted lines by Vivien Palcic on 2021/06/09 at 20:26 +0800]

>I tried the command Space+Dots138 for enabling the Braille keyboard,

Although it doesn't hurt to do that, i.e. to make sure that brltty doesn't ignore the keyboard, I actually meant a setting within the Brailliant BI's internal menu.

>but I'm not getting any indication (alerts/messages etc) as to whether it is enabled, was already enabled etc, even after I went into the Preferences and changed Alert Dots and Alert Messages to Yes.

That wasn't necessary as no alert dots or messages are defined for that event. You should've heard a confirming alert tune, though. The tune is ascending when a setting is enabled and descending when it's disabled. If the setting is already the way you're trying to change it then you'll hear the tune twice.

>But what's more puzzling is, when I'm reading the Help
>screen via my phone with the Brailliant, I'm getting different commands - for
>example: enter/leave help display: ControlLeft+ShiftLeft+KP0+KP8. (Or maybe
>KP7 - I wasn't completely sure, as one of the dots in the corresponding cell
>seemed to be faint, so it's a bit flady.) What is this KP even referring to?

You must have a keyboard table enabled. If so, there are two help screens - one for the braille device and one for the keyboard. The Space+h binding cycles through both of them.

I just checked. I'd forgotten (it's been so long), but a keyboard table is indeed enabled when on Android. This isn't necessary, and, as you've found out, I can see how confusing it is. I'll remove that for the next Android release. Thank you for reminding me about it. It's probably a leftover from way back when Android development for brltty was very, very young.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |