[BRLTTY] speech in brltty when conntent begin to scroll probllem

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sun May 9 05:17:22 EDT 2021

[quoted lines by halim.sahin at freenet.de on 2021/05/09 at 09:41 +0200]

>   Please excuse my bad English :-(. I am new in this list.

New or not, that's an illegal apology. :-) How good or not-so-good any person's English is isn't an issue. All are welcome and it's our pleasure to be of whatever help we can.

>   For plain tty stuff with speech enabled I  found some problems which
>   makes things dificult for me.

Have you enabled autospeak?

>   When I read a man page with info brltty stops speaking when the screen
>   content starts to scroll.
>   This is also a problem when you read a txt file  which has more lines
>   than the current tty has.

The reason for that is that brltty simply reads what's on the screen. It's primary anchor point is the cursor. However:

There's a setting you might want to try. In the Navigation Options submenu you'll find a setting called Track Screen Scroll. It tries to do what I think you want. It's known to work very well for IM screens.

It works by remembering the content of the current line, i.e. the line you're reading in braille (not the line wehre the cursor is). As long as that line is on the screen, things tend to be okay. It has two weak points. One is if the current line's content also occurs on other lines, which means that it can't tell which line of all of those it should be following. The other is if the current line scrolls off the screen.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |