[BRLTTY] Fwd: Problems when using brltty in the terminal

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Sun May 9 17:48:11 EDT 2021

Le 09/05/2021 à 23:24, Samuel Thibault a écrit :
> Didier Spaier, le dim. 09 mai 2021 23:13:18 +0200, a ecrit:
>>>
>>> Speech-based screen reading also requires very low latency to get snappy
>>> feedback.
>>
>> OK, then does anyone knows how to measure the latency increase?
>
> A way I found easy was to tap control repeatedly, synchronize the tap
> with the feedback of Orca, and then count how many times a second I'm
> typing the key.

Thanks. As speech-dispatcher in Slint by default sends it audio output
to libao which sends it to alsa, I could compare the results with the
ones I get sending the audio output to pulseaudio instead.

Didier

PS as an aside, with our default settings there should be no latency
issue with Orca as pulseaudio doesn't come into play. Same for the
console screen readers (e)speakup, speechd-up and fenrir.