[BRLTTY] [OT] Braille displays with firmware support for Unicode

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Wed Nov 10 06:59:37 EST 2021

Hello Mario, et al.

On 2021-11-10 at 12:21 +0100, Mario Lang <mlang at blind.guru> wrote:
 > I managed to put a Raspberry Pi 0w into my
 > Active Star a few years ago which would make building your
 > own note-taker pretty simple.

How did you do this? How did you make it durable, and how do you supply power
to the Pi?

Of course I would prefer to have emacs as my note taker. The only thing
holding me back is that I would not want to have a separate host device, which
is always out of battery, or even worse, breaks in my backpack.

Maybe, if I request for a company to put emaacs into my brave new display,
things will go smoothly...

 > But dont wait for these manufacturers to support modern stuff like
 > Unicode Braille.  They are stuck in their own world of catering to the
 > common deniminator of users.  Supporting experts does not make money, so
 > they dont care.

I really would like to hear objections. But you are probably right. All my bug
reports have been silently ignored in all braille display maker companies that
I have contacted so far.

--
Aura