[BRLTTY] [OT] Braille displays with firmware support for Unicode

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Wed Nov 10 13:00:11 EST 2021

Many thanks for sharing your point of view Aura.
I definitely understand your concern.

I also would like to find a robust solution for working with my
favourite tools on the go.

I used Mario's one but found it a bit difficult to maintain in the long
run.

I know an other person on the list who is using a Pi Zero W in an Active
Star but with the regular Raspbian, which is perhaps a bit easier to
maintain but I always had difficulties to pair the Active Star.

To answer your quesiton about power. There is a compartment in the
Active Star that has been designed so that you can put a mobile phone in
it. A wire arrives in this compartment that is connected to the
ActiveStar's Battery. You can plug your Raspberry Pi Zero W to this
cable and then it will get its power from the battery of the braille
device.

If you consider using Android, you may have a look to Termux. Then you
would need to use only brltty as a screen reader.

I would be very interested to hear about experiments done by others in
this direction.

Best wishes,

Sébastien.