[BRLTTY] Multi-column characters on Linux

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Fri Oct 1 15:20:19 EDT 2021

Hi

I am having a discussion with emacs developer about an emacs bug that is
related to multi-column characters, e.g. many emojis.

My first question is to those who have intimate knowledge about the Linux
console: My understanding is that Linux has no support of any kind for
displaying multi-column characters in a VT. Is this true? If not, what is this
support?

The second thing is related to BRLTTY's /dev/vcsu-support.

If I write on the console a multi-column character followed by a space, BRLTTY
does not show this space on the braille display, even when it is visible on
the screen.

So writing <PERSON WITH FOLDED HANDS> and a space in the console results only
to the output of the emoji on the braille display. The cursor is not moved,
and is incorrectly shown right after the emoji.

If I set screen-parameters lx:Unicode=no in brltty.conf, this problem
disappears.

Of course this could also be a kernel issue in the /dev/vcsu-implementation.

--
Aura