[BRLTTY] TSI braille display protocol

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Mon Oct 4 05:15:17 EDT 2021

Dave Mielke <Dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> [quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2021/10/04 at 08:36 +0200]
>
>>Maybe BRLTTY should have such a tool by default?
>
> If I'm understanding you correctly, brltty probably has all the
> pieces. What, excactly, would you like such a tool to do?

I'd like it to behave like an existing bluettoth braille display such
that iOS actually recognized it, and forward write requests and
keypresses across to a BrlAPI server.  IOW, I'd like to connect an old
serial display to a "modern" OS which lacks support for it directly.
I guess the simplest way would be to leave the underlying protocol
alone, and just tunnel the bytes from one comm. type to another
(bluetooth -> serial).  However, this might fail if the other end is
picky about protocol and/or has bad backwards compatibility.
So emulating a device which is similar to the one in use is probably
also a good option.  In my case, I am trying to connect an old
serial Vario to iOS.  I guess the best option I have here
is to enable a Brailliant BI 40?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕