[BRLTTY] [slint] Re: User 'pawel' in Polish

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Wed Oct 20 19:31:22 EDT 2021

Hi Pawel and All,

A brltty-6.4 package for Slint is available in /testing which allows to run
brltty as regular user as described in: https://brltty.app/doc/Linux.html

package:
https://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/testing/brltty-6.4-x86_64-2slint.txz
md5 checksum:
https://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/testing/brltty-6.4-x86_64-2slint.md5

The only difference with the proposed default settings is the writable
directory: /var/brltty in Sint instead of /var/run/brltty.

So, one can start brltty as regular user:
dance[~]$ LANG=C brltty
BRLTTY 6.4 rev BRLTTY-6.4 [https://brltty.app/]
brltty: executing as the invoking user: didier
dance[~]$

or as root:
root at ici:~# LANG=C brltty
BRLTTY 6.4 rev BRLTTY-6.4 [https://brltty.app/]
brltty: switched to unprivileged user: brltty
root at ici:~#

Some observations:
I start brltty like this:
brltty -d /dev/tty2 -b tt

To get an output on /dev/tty2 I need to login in this tty, as the
regular user
who started brltty.

I get an output in /dev/tty2 regardless of the user who produces it,
both in a
console or in a graphical terminal.

If I start brltty as root, no matter what, I don't get an output in
/dev/tty2.

So...

@Pawel: please test. Can you get a different Braille table for each user
starting brltty?

@brltty developers:
Was the behavior described above to be expected?

@Slint users wanting to test:
To be safe, use a console screen reader when testing, especially if you make
/erc/rc.d/rc.brltty non executable, as then you won't have Braille to
log in.

Cheers,
Didier