[BRLTTY] Latest humanware/APH devices and brltty on Android

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Oct 30 14:35:53 EDT 2021

[quoted lines by henk.abma at gmail.com on 2021/10/30 at 20:10 +0200]

>There is a notification telling me that a new device is
>charging from my phone.

This has to do with the device charging from your phone, i.e. it'll drain your battery. This isn't the dialog I'm referring to. The one I'm referring to has to do with granting acess to the device.

>When I tap this notification for more info, I get a
>screen that gives me the choice of letting the connection being managed by
>the remote or by my phone, which defaults to the remote device. However I
>cannot change any parameter there.

This tells me that it's wanting the braille device to be the USB host and the phone to be the USB device. That's the wrong way around so maybe you need an OTG cable.

I looked into why I haven't seen this crash before. It caught me by surprise. Enforcement for this permission only begins when an app targets Android 11 (or higher).
Brltty was o nly targeting Android 10 until just a week ago or so. I had to upgrade it to target Android 11 because of an imminent Google Play deadline for doing that. The code is a few years old and, to my recollection, I wasn't aware that this particular method call would start enforcing that particular permission.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |