[BRLTTY] brltty and speech

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Sep 1 17:33:59 EDT 2021

Hello,

Just as a side note for anybody who'd want to implement it:

Halim Sahin, le mer. 01 sept. 2021 14:06:13 +0200, a ecrit:
> one more thing for speech output with a2 screen driver:
> It would be great if a user could stop speaking by pressing ctrl key.
> Currently it seems keyboard support for brltty functions are missing in
> brltty when running it in EG. mate-terminal?

Yes, because the Linux keyboard support for brltty needs root access.
There is an at-spi2 interface to get such keyboard support, it's the
AtspiDevice object which is new in atspi 2.40.  In Orca, Mike added the
support like this (in python):

orca_state.device = Atspi.Device.new()
orca_state.device.key_watcher = orca_state.device.add_key_watcher(self._processNewKeyboardEvent)

I guess the Atspi.Device.new() new part would be a
g_object_new(ATSPI_TYPE_DEVICE), and then one would call
atspi_device_add_key_watcher to register the callback, that will be
called within the atspi2 handling thread.

Samuel