[BRLTTY] brltty and speech

Christian Schoepplein chris at schoeppi.net
Sat Sep 4 08:13:00 EDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 07:44:58AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
>[quoted lines by Christian Schoepplein on 2021/09/01 at 12:30 +0200]
>
>>Lets say you have the following lines in a file:
>>
>>test123
>>test234
>>test567
>>
>>In some situations, and I think it is when such lines that differ only im
>>some characters on the beginning of a line and if those lines are at the end
>>of a screen, the content of the first line is spoken fully and the second
>>and third line is spoken only partialy (in the example test is not longer
>>spoken for the second and third line).
>
>Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm not a speech user so I do
>need to be told about these problems.

No problem. I use speech and braille in combination while speech is my
prefered media. Because I got fully blind with the age of 14 and was able to
work without braille before, braille is still a challenge and will always
be. However, using Linux without braille, especialy for my, dows not
work....

>The reason is that the autospeak feature doesn't realize that the screen
>has scrolled, so, to it, it's the same line.

I also have very ofthen the situation that absolutely different lines are
not spoken when they are at the end of a screen, e.g. at the button of a
list in the mutt mailer.

Can this also be explained by the fact that the auto-speak feature does not
see that the screen has scroled?

Can this be fixed by changing configuration or has it to be fixed a newer
brltty release? It would be great to get this behaviour changed, that would
speed up work a lot.

Ciao and thanks a lot for your work,

  Schoepp