[BRLTTY] Binding a keyboard to a virtual console?

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Fri Sep 24 03:47:58 EDT 2021

Hi.

Does anyone know if there is a way to bind a specific input device to a
virtual console?  I am trying to implement a second "seat" in the sense
of systemd-logind.  Unfortunately, according to the systemd docs, a
separate seat would require a graphical session to work.  However, I am
trying to do this for a virtual console.  The lx:VT screen parameter can
already be used to bind BRLTTY to a specific console.  What is missing
is the keyboard.

I've done something similar about 20 years ago with a very crude kernel
patch.  I was running an instance of Emacspeak on a specific terminal,
and bound an extra USB keyboard to only emit keypresses to that
terminal.  Output was synthetic speech from a soundcard, and input came
from that second keyboard.  In a sense, what I want to do today is very
similar, only that output is now Braille.  The lx:VT screen parameter is
exactly what I need on the braille display side, but the same question
as 20 years ago still stands: Can I bind an input device to a specific VT?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕